Wearing the best motorcycle helmet while on the road is unquestionably of utmost importance.
For one, motorcycle accidents can be very dangerous due to the risk of head injury and secondly, you should wear one as it is the law in most cities.
Aside from this, it is critical that you understand there are different styles of motorcycle helmets and that you know which one suits your needs.
Update 2021: The best motorcycle helmet for most people is the Shoei Neotec II. It is simply the best motorcycle gear that would last years to come and help you stay safe on the road.
The Shoei Neotec II offers lighter yet stronger shell design, Dual density EPS liner and one of the best-built quality in helmet category.
If the Shoei helmet is unavailable or out of stock, the ILM and Bell Qualifier Unisex are our runner-ups. These helmets get an excellent rating overall and are much affordable helmets but do lack the premium feel.
These two options are great in terms of value and meeting DOT requirements.
Use this post as your ultimate cheat sheet to find the best motorcycle helmets and helmets brands out there.
- 1 Best Motorcycle Helmets Reviews
- 1.1 1. HJC CL-17 Full-face Motorcycle Helmet – Best Overall Motorcycle Helmets
- 1.2 2. Bell Unisex Full-face Street Helmet – Best Overall Motorcycle Helmets
- 1.3 3. 1Storm Modular Full-face Motorcycle Helmet – Best Modular Motorcycle Helmets
- 1.4 4. YEMA Adult Modular Motorcycle Helmet – Best Modular Motorcycle Helmets
- 1.5 5. Storm Full-Face Carbon Fiber Motorcycle Helmet –Best Carbon Fiber Motorcycle Helmets
- 1.6 6. Storm Modular Full-Face Carbon Fiber Helmet – Best Carbon Fiber Motorcycle Helmets
- 1.7 7. GDM Duke Series Full Face Motorcycle Helmet – Best Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 1.8 8. LS2 Full Face Helmet with Sunshield – Best Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 1.9 9. Core Vintage Open Face Motorcycle Helmet – Best Open Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 1.10 10. LS2 Open Face Verso Helmet – Best Open Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 1.11 11. TORC Spec-Op Half Helmet with Flag Graphic – Best Motorcycle Half Helmet
- 1.12 Best Motorcycle Helmet for The Money
- 1.13 12. MMG Open Face Motorcycle Helmet –Best Motorcycle Half Helmet
- 1.14 13. ILM Full Face Street Bike Helmet
- 2 Importance of Motorcycle Helmets
- 3 Choosing the Right Motorcycle Helmet
- 4 Final Thoughts
Best Motorcycle Helmets Reviews
Having known the above mentioned information, you should now be able to pick the right helmet for you.
In case you don’t have enough time to browse the market, consider our top choices for the best motorcycle helmets which you can purchase online.
The best motorcycle helmets should foremost be durable enough to protect drivers against unexpected collisions.
The ventilation system and other additional features that provide comfort are some things to look for.
Despite a good functionality, the products should not be too expensive for common buyers.
1. HJC CL-17 Full-face Motorcycle Helmet – Best Overall Motorcycle Helmets
HJC’s CL-17 helmet brings with it the built-in protection of a full-face motorcycle helmet.
Using the advanced CAD technology, it is made to have an anti-scratch face shield that provides 95% protection from UV rays.
Durability is ensured through its advanced polycarbonate composite shell.
Installing and replacing its face shield is simple and efficient as it requires no tool. The shield also locks in securely and opens with just a touch at the center.
Recognizing the need for proper ventilation while on the road, this helmet provides a full front to back ventilation system that helps flush the humidity out.
It also has an anti-fog system that can be improved using an optional pin lock sold separately.
The fabric used in the cheek pad and liner are all anti-bacterial and interchangeable among all helmet sizes.
You are assured of its security as almost all helmet sizes are DOT and SNELL approved.
- check Made of lightweight polycarbonate composite shell
- check Has an anti-scratch face shield (pin lock ready) and anti-fog systems
- check Tool-less installation and removal of face-shield
- check Advance front to back ventilation system with moisture-wicking interior
- check Effectively blocks UV rays
- check Cheek pads and liner have anti-bacterial fabric and are fully removable
- check Various sizing options (X-small to XXX-large)
- check SNELL and DOT certified
- Sizing chart does not work for others
- Anti-fog system sold separately
2. Bell Unisex Full-face Street Helmet – Best Overall Motorcycle Helmets
This motorcycle helmet by Bell is certified by DOT, ECE, and AS. This means, the helmet is outstanding in terms of protection and comfort.
It is loved for its lightweight material, quick and simple face-shield installation and replacement, and affordable value.
The product’s face shield is well protected against the sun rays, fog, and scratch. Drivers are comfortable with this on as there is proper ventilation inside.
The interior is also removable and washable. Additionally, the padded collar reduces road and wind noise so drivers are less disturbed.
Some added features are a contoured cheek pad and speaker pockets.
The five-year warranty is another thing that is attractive to buyers. Overall, Bell’s motorcycle helmet is among the best of its kind.
- check Made of lightweight polycarbonate shell construction
- check Tool-free shield replacement
- check Anti-fog, anti-scratch and UV protected shield
- check Wind and road noise are minimized with its padded wind collar
- check Cheek pads are contoured and interior are both removable and washable
- check Added speaker pockets
- check DOT, ECE, and AS certified
- Some customers received broken packages upon arrival
Modular helmets combine the protection of a full-face helmet and the comfort of an open-face helmet. There are a lot of good ones in the market, but here are two of the best.
3. 1Storm Modular Full-face Motorcycle Helmet – Best Modular Motorcycle Helmets
Some people hesitate to purchase a low-cost helmet thinking that it wouldn’t function as expected.
You can rid yourself of this idea when considering 1Storm’s modular motorcycle helmet.
The helmet has an advanced flip-up and dual lens design.
There will be little to no wind drag upon using this as the helmet is made of an aerodynamic thermoplastic alloy shell.
This quality also makes it both durable and lightweight.
Looking from the outside, one will notice a glossy finish that protects the rider against harmful UV rays.
Inside, the padding of the helmet is removable and washable, so you don’t need to constantly buy replacements. 1Storms modular helmet is approved by DOT.
- check Made of aerodynamic thermoplastic alloy shell
- check Lightweight and durable
- check Has a glossy UV protection finish
- check Inner lens are smoked but outer shield is clear
- check Padding is removable and washable
- check Cost-efficient and DOT approved
- The size chart does not seem useful for some buyers
4. YEMA Adult Modular Motorcycle Helmet – Best Modular Motorcycle Helmets
One of the best looking modular helmets is produced by YEMA. It has a fashionable design in black color that fits both male and female drivers.
Design aside, the product is a professional grade helmet made of an aerodynamic ABS shell. It has lots of advanced features, too.
The clear sun visor is easy to remove, install, and switch without the need for any tool.
Its ventilation system allows riders to adjust the intake and exhaust vents to keep them cool and comfortable.
The helmet also comes with removable and washable liner and pads and some extra space for Bluetooth speakers and glasses. This product meets the DOT standards.
- check Professional-grade helmet approved by DOT
- check Fashionable design appropriate for both men and women
- check Aerodynamic ABS shell
- check Adjustable intake and exhaust vents for a more comfortable ride
- check Removable and washable liner and pads
- check Has extra space for sunglasses and Bluetooth devices
- check Tool-free visor removal and installation
- Sizing was not accurate for some customers
Experienced riders know that a helmet with carbon fiber material is among the most crash-resistant.
Despite being lightweight, it is extremely durable and resistant to flexing. Below are some of the best carbon fiber motorcycle helmets.
5. Storm Full-Face Carbon Fiber Motorcycle Helmet –Best Carbon Fiber Motorcycle Helmets
This full-face carbon fiber helmet from 1Storm thrills drivers for its design and comfortability.
It is of carbon fiber black color that complements your bike regardless of its design and color. There are also size options ranging from small to extra-large.
Because it is made from carbon fiber, the helmet is ultra-lightweight and durable.
This is partly attributable to its aerodynamic thermoplastic alloy shell as well.
Among its best features is the three-level ventilation control that is positioned in five ventilation channels. The result is a comfortable driving experience.
The helmet comes with heavy cushioning for a more comfortable interior.
Also, the cushioning is removable and washable. The product is a good deal and DOT signs to that!
- check Made of ultra-lightweight thermoplastic alloy shell
- check Durable and aerodynamic
- check Top-notch ventilation control
- check Heavy-cushioning makes a comfortable interior (removable and washable)
- check Great design with glossy UV protection finish
- check DOT approved
- Issues with the tinted shield reported
6. Storm Modular Full-Face Carbon Fiber Helmet – Best Carbon Fiber Motorcycle Helmets
Another top product from 1Storm is its modular full-face carbon fiber helmet. Just like all of the manufacturer’s helmet products, this is DOT approved and is known to be reliable to many riders.
As a modular helmet, it has a flip-up design. An attractive feature is the dual lens design where the inner lens is smoked and the outer shield is clear.
As a carbon fiber helmet, the product is lightweight and extremely durable. The thermoplastic alloy shell gives it an aerodynamic functionality, too.
Just like the other 1Storm helmets, the padding in this product is removable and washable.
Also, the helmet comes in three UV protected finish (fiber, glossy black and glossy white) where one can choose from.
- check Advanced flip-up design
- check Dual-lens design (inner smoked lens and clear outer shield)
- check Lightweight and durable
- check Aerodynamic alloy shell
- check UV protective finishing coat
- check Removable and washable padding
- check DOT approved
- Fitting problems were reported
Full-face helmets are indisputably the best ones when it comes to protection. Although there is a variety of products to choose from, we have gathered two of the best ones currently available.
7. GDM Duke Series Full Face Motorcycle Helmet – Best Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
One of the trusted full-face motorcycle helmets on the market is GDM’s helmet. It does not only meet but also exceeds the helmet safety standards set by DOT.
The helmet’s shell is lightweight as it is made from composite poly-alloy.
Among the best features of this product is the five-point ventilation system which keeps riders cool and comfortable.
At the same time, the cheek pads and liner are both removable and washable.
The best thing probably is the free tinted visor that can be used instead of the clear visor that also comes with the product.
- check Meets or exceeds DOT’s safety standard
- check Aerodynamic shell design
- check Made of lightweight poly-alloy material
- check Removable and washable cheek pads and liner
- check Comes with two visors: clear and tinted
- According to some, the product was not as durable as advertised
8. LS2 Full Face Helmet with Sunshield – Best Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
LS2’s full-face motorcycle helmet is a close competition of the best-priced helmets in the market.
Despite its affordability, DOT and ECE approve of its safety standards for drivers on-the-go.
The product comes with a five-year warranty for defects in workmanship and material.
The helmet is made of polycarbonate alloy shell that is lightweight and aerodynamic.
It also comes with two built-in shields that can be retracted with a simple switch flip.
You can assure fresh lining and padding as they are completely removable and washable as well.
- check Built-in double shield system
- check Cheek pads and lining are fully removable and washable
- check Tool-less quick shield release
- check Fits long oval
- check DOT and ECE approved
- There were notable problems with the sizing and fogging
Open-face helmets aren’t suggested for long and dangerous rides as they do not offer as much protection as a full-face helmet. But with the right caution, they can still prove to be useful.
9. Core Vintage Open Face Motorcycle Helmet – Best Open Face Motorcycle Helmet
If you are hoping to find a vintage-looking motorcycle helmet, this may be the one for you! This helmet combines the 60s retro look and feel with modern comfort and protection.
It is made of thermoplastic alloy shell which is lightweight and impact-absorbing.
Riders will love the comfortable and breathable interior of the helmet. The flat shield can also be attached with ease.
The helmet is scratch-protected and exceeds the DOT standard.
- check Vintage open-face helmet design
- check Made of thermoplastic alloy shell
- check Comfortable and plush breathable interior
- check Premium automotive paint finish for scratch protection
- check Meet and exceeds DOT standard
- Sizing problems were noted
10. LS2 Open Face Verso Helmet – Best Open Face Motorcycle Helmet
LS2’s open-face helmet offers riders a wider field of visibility that aids in riding and prevents a claustrophobic feeling.
It has a removable, replaceable, and built-in sunshield which a rider can flip up when not in need.
Although there might already be enough ventilation in an open-face helmet, you can make it even more comfortable for you with its fully adjustable ventilation system.
You can also be assured of the durability of this helmet as it is made from a polymer alloy shell that also causes it to be lightweight.
One cannot go wrong with a DOT and ECE approved motorcycle helmet.
- check Wide-field visibility with a built-in sun shield that flips up
- check Tool-less shield release for easy replacement
- check Fully-adjustable ventilation
- check Made of lightweight polymer alloy shell
- check DOT and ECE approved
- Sizes are smaller than requested for some verified customers
Half-helmets are prohibited in some cities because of the minimum protection they offer. However, if it ever is allowed in yours, then consider the two best motorcycle half-helmets below.
11. TORC Spec-Op Half Helmet with Flag Graphic – Best Motorcycle Half Helmet
TORC’s half-helmet is one with a low profile but with durable outer shells. It is so slim that it closely resembles the head profile.
As a sunshade, the helmet comes with a retractable sun visor that is dropped down when used.
In the inner core of the helmet are anti-microbial cheek pads which are removable, washable, and replaceable.
The fabric lasts long so drivers won’t need to replace it often. The helmet is also DOT approved.
If you are concerned of the head sizes, do not be as there are six size fittings for this product.
- check Comes with two outer shells
- check Integrated drop-down sun visor
- check Inner padding and cheek pads are removable and washable (anti-microbial)
- check Various head size fittings
- check DOT approved
- Size warning was posted by some verified customers
Best Motorcycle Helmet for The Money
If you are a little short on budget, look for motorcycle helmets that provide a similar level of durability at an affordable price.
You’ll be surprised at how many they are. Let’s look at two of the most budget-friendly motorcycle helmets.
12. MMG Open Face Motorcycle Helmet –Best Motorcycle Half Helmet
MMG’s open-face helmet ranks among the most affordable motorcycle helmets currently available in the market.
It is approved to be street legal so you can pretty much use it anywhere with relative caution.
The product is of comfortable inner-padding and removable cheek pads. The flip-up windshield is clear, has a wide vision field, and is guaranteed to be scratch-proof.
This modern helmet is lightweight and aerodynamic in design. Best of all, these features all come at an affordable price.
- check Approved for US safety standards (DOT)
- check Removable and washable cheek pads
- check Comfortable inner padding
- check Anti-scratch windshield with wide-vision field
- check Lightweight with modern aerodynamic design
- check Comes with free care bag
- check Cost-efficient
- Complaints about the durability of windshield are noted
13. ILM Full Face Street Bike Helmet
If you want full-head protection for your ride but cannot afford to go for the expensive helmets, try ILM’s full-face street bike helmet.
Just like all other helmets on this list, the helmet is DOT approved. Unlike the above mentioned though, this is among the most cost-efficient ones in the market.
A clear and a smoked sun visor come with the product. There is also an added neck scarf in case the ride is destined for snowy or cold places.
The strap in the helmet is easy to release and connect. Finally, the material is durable and is made of lightweight ABS shell so you can guarantee the helmet’s durability.
- check Meets and exceeds DOT safety standards
- check Comes with two sun visors: clear and smoked
- check Added neck scarf for winter use
- check Durable and lightweight ABS shell
- check Easy to release strap
- There are some unsatisfied customers
Importance of Motorcycle Helmets
Motorcycle helmets are increasingly becoming popular not because they are a fad among riders but mainly because people have realized their importance.
Thus, most countries, if not all, have included the use of helmets as part of the law for road security and management.
If you are not yet convinced, here are a few reasons that should compel you to consider the usage of helmets.
Motorcycle helmets can save your life.
Road accidents attributed to vehicle crashes increase day by day. This problem is now evident on a global scale.
When motorcycle collisions take place, the body part which has to receive the most protection is the head.
The head, as we all know, is most sensitive to injuries. A head injury could result in a disability, or worse, to death.
With a motorcycle helmet on, you can avoid major head injuries that may claim your life.
It is especially helpful when journeying to accident-prone areas like busy highways or streets.
Take other precautionary measures to avoid road accidents, but do not forget the most important one – wearing a helmet.
Wearing a motorcycle helmet protect you from many disabling head injuries.
There may be fewer cases of death on the road involving motorcycles than there are for serious head injuries.
Nevertheless, collisions can definitely cause enough harm to cause suffering.
Certainly, you do not want to undergo surgery, medication, physical therapy and other issues that come with hospitalization.
Using a motorcycle helmet means you are abiding by the law.
It’s sad to see motorcycle drivers navigating roads without any helmet on. It’s either that they don’t value their own lives or they just think they can get away with the law.
Remember that once caught, you may not only have to pay a fine but also face other serious repercussions.
You may be able to avoid accidents but not from traffic law enforcers.
Helmets give you psychological confidence.
Riders who always use a helmet agree with the confidence it gives them when riding.
Knowing that their head is protected, they can focus more on driving and arrive at their destinations safely.
This psychological confidence does not only stay in the mind but is also reflected in the act of driving.
Wearing a helmet gives comfort.
When the wind is strong or the rain is heavy, it is hard for motorcycle drivers to concentrate as they cannot clearly see what’s ahead of them.
Having a helmet to cover your eyes and the other parts of your head greatly aids in this situation.
In addition, there are those people who are allergic to dust or other pollutants in the air. This is especially true if one has to drive for longer distances.
To prevent such condition from worsening, a helmet will be more than sufficient.
Harmful external elements are kept out, plus you get the protection that you need.
Choosing the Right Motorcycle Helmet
Now that you know the most common types of motorcycle helmets, it is time to learn how to go about choosing one. There is no one-helmet-fits-all.
There are several factors to consider before shelling out your money on motorcycle helmets.
Purpose of The Helmet
One reason why there are a lot of helmets around is because different riders have different needs.
Identify how often you ride your motorcycle per week.
Also, determine the places where you usually ride and recognize the driving conditions that you may have to face.
How advanced or basic your helmet will be will depend on the purpose you set it for.
If the helmet is for everyday use, you would want a comfortable one with good aerodynamics and decent resistance to wind noise.
If you are riding with a group, a helmet that allows communication will prove to be more useful.
On the other hand, high-performance helmets with additional features will be best for racing.
Perfect Fit for Head Shape and Size
No one will choose a helmet that is too small for his head, but a helmet that is too big will not protect the head, either.
Additionally, a perfectly-sized helmet for one rider may be too loose or too tight on another. Thus, a right-fitted helmet should be an end goal.
It is best to try the helmet on upon buying in a physical store. When purchasing online, be sure to check the helmet sizes on the description section and custom-fit the helmet to your head size.
The right helmet will be that which fits snugly to your head without putting pressure on it.
Helmets are made of different shell materials (polycarbonate, fiberglass, carbon fiber, and EPS).
They differ in their weight, safety ratings, and outward designs. Decide whether you want a lighter helmet, a heavier one with added features, or one with lower safety rating but is the most comfortable for your ride.
Twenty-first-century helmets have many other features, too.
For instance, some have a chin-pad for cold weather while others come with speakers or other communication devices.
If you need any of these, include these in your checklist. However, do not pay more for features you will not need anyway.
There are several government and non-profit organizations in different countries around the world that check the safety standards of motorcycle helmets.
Mainly, they examine whether a helmet will actually protect a rider when collisions take place. Additionally, they look at whether the helmet allows enough peripheral vision to the driver.
Every motorcycle rider has to make sure their helmets meet, at the very least, the minimum standards of these organizations (e.g. DOT in the US).
If you don’t see any sticker attached to the helmet, you should immediately move on to another.
Generally, more expensive helmets provide better protection. This is either because these helmets use the best materials or they have a number of other features.
However, remember that you don’t need helmets with an ‘x’ number of features that will not be of any use to you.
Nowadays, it is possible to find reasonably priced helmets with good quality and functionality.
Replacement and Maintenance
By natural wear and tear, the lifespan of a helmet is five years after regular usage.
According to experts, this is the perfect time for you to replace it.
To prolong the life of your helmet, it is also best to avoid oil and sweat from its interior by wearing a scarf or a bandana.
Hair products that may stick to the lining should also be avoided when used.
Going on or off road requires extreme caution among motorcycle drivers. Not only are there larger vehicles around, handling motorcycles are also trickier to drive and manage than most vehicles.
Since accidents on the road are inevitable, drivers have to make sure that they bring with them the best gears. A motorcycle helmet is undoubtedly a must.
This article has presented the best motorcycle helmets and brands that you can purchase online.
They are tested by safety regulatory boards and tried by many customers. Whichever you pick, be sure to opt for one that can provide the best protection for your ride.
Other Related Posts you might want to read:
Did you find the post useful? Comment below and tell us! thanks.